Do you love quilt retreats?
We do, too! That’s why we are planning a quilt retreat for 2018! Right now we are in the early planning stages and would love your input. Below is a very simple questionnaire that we would love for you to complete. Tell us what you love and don’t love about retreats and what you would like to make/learn.
What do we have planned so far? Quite a bit, actually. Nothing is set in stone but here is a general overview:
- When? First or second weekend in August. This is a great time to visit Tallahassee as the city isn’t super busy with students and football. Yes, it is hot everywhere in August, but we will only have you in the nicest of spots and with lots of cold, cold A/C. (Cool enough for even the strongest of hot flashes …)
- Where? The University Center Club. Known as the UCC, this is a beautifully remodeled, three story private club attached to Doak Campbell Stadium. So yes, the quilt retreat will be “at the Stadium,” but we promise you will be beyond impressed with their retreat/meeting space, the food, and the nice big projector screens. You will always see the teacher close up because the screens will show exactly what she is working on! We have done multiple walk throughs of the space, as well as attended many social functions and business meetings at the UCC. It is top notch service and absolutely wonderful inside. (And maybe Brittany’s husband is the Private Events Director … so you know he will want to impress his wife, his mother-in-law and all of you! He is in the picture above with Julie. And yes, this picture is of an outside space at the UCC … we will be inside in the A/C. promise!)
- How Long? This will be a Friday, Saturday and Sunday event. Friday, late morning, will be set up time so you have your sewing space just how you want it. Friday afternoon we will do the class followed by a lovely dinner with entertainment and free time for sewing until 10pm. Saturday will be class all day with lunch and snacks included, followed by another lovely dinner with entertainment and free time for sewing until 10pm. Sunday will be class all morning with a nice brunch served before the day ends in the early afternoon.
- What Will I Make and Learn? We are planning exclusive projects only for this retreat. We are thinking a nice collection of projects would be best so you get to work on applique, embroidery, piecing and maybe a mixed media craft. Lots of fun!
- Who are the Teachers? Julie Love and Brittany Love Bonda. Julie is especially talented at teaching machine applique and embroidery and has traveled around the US teaching at guilds and quilt shops. We may have additional teachers based on feedback on this form for the types of projects you would like to make.
- What Will the Food Be Like? Yummy! That is a major thing for us … yummy food. Nothing is worse than being at a retreat and being hungry! We promise lots of variety … from chocolate to fruit to salads to comfort food. Some meals will be a buffet style (lunch) while some will be plated, sit down meals with table service (dinner).
- Where Will I Stay? There are quite a few very nice, clean and affordable hotels near the UCC. We will set up room blocks for you as we get more of the details in place.
- Overall Goal of the Retreat: For you to have an amazing time. For you to feel special … like a quilt queen! For you to learn new techniques and make fun projects. For you to want to come back again the next year! You won’t have to worry about food or anything like that … your only care in the world will be what you are sewing!
Again, we thank you so much for taking the time to tell us what you would like in a retreat. As we gather answers from you and your quilt friends we will continue to update our plan. We hope to launch all of the details before Christmas … you know, so maybe someone can gift you a fun quilt trip!