Christmas songs may be playing on the radio already but here at Stitches of Love we have not forgotten about Thanksgiving! This year we are so very grateful for you, our quilting friend, and wanted to give you a little something to show our gratitude. That’s why we have everything you need to put the finishing touches on your Thanksgiving celebration. Whether you are the hostess and looking to impress in-laws or a guest visiting family, this blog post is just what you need to pull off your Martha Stewart day. We are going to spend this evening making a few Turkey Gobble Mug Rugs and will be printing all the adorable Thanksgiving Wine Labels, Place Cards and more from Gifted Labels!
Turkey Gobble Mug Rug Tutorial
This Thanksgiving mug rug was inspired by the graphic artist, Collin Bassett, of Gifted Labels. If you follow our blog and Facebook Page regularly, you are already familiar with the fabulous designs she has over at GiftedLabels.com because we are HUGE CB/Gifted Labels fans. The Turkey Gobble Mug Rug, as we have named it, is super fast and easy to make and will be the perfect hostess gift, a nice little treat for yourself, or can be used as a hot pad to protect your table/buffet when serving hot items on Thanksgiving. No matter how you decide to use it, we know you will enjoy it!
- 1 Background Piece – 9.5″ by 6.5″
- 1 Backing Piece – 9.5″ by 6.5″
- 1 Piece for Turkey Body – 5″ Square
- 4 Different Color Pieces for Turkey Feathers – Each a 5″ Square
- 1 Small Piece for Turkey Beack
- Fusible Web
- 1 – 2.25″ by WOF for Binding
- 1 Piece of Batting – 10″ by 7″
- 2 – 1/8″ Buttons for Turkey Eyes
- Cut background and backing pieces to 9.5″ by 6.5”.
- Prepare the applique using your favorite technique. We used fusible web and prepared our applique pieces for machine applique. We have reversed the applique to make your preparation easier and faster. Download the Applique Pieces Here: Turkey Gobble Applique Pieces.
- Using the applique placement guide and a light box, arrange your applique pieces on your background fabric. Download the Applique Placement Guide Here: Turkey Gobble Applique Placement Guide Final
- Button hole stitch your applique pieces. We recommend a basic straight stitch on the Turkey Beak as the button hole stitch will likely cover the entire beak.
- Quilt your mug rug as desired. The bottom layer will be your background fabric. The middle layer will be your batting. The top layer will be your appliqued top.
- After quilting you can now square up your mug rug.
- Prepare your binding. The quilt measures 32” in total binding area but we recommend adding several inches to the length of binding you prepare depending on your preferred binding method. We used one strip of fabric cut 2 ¼” by WOF, approximately 43”.
- Enjoy some downtime while you sew your binding .
- Snap a quick picture of your finished product and share it on our Facebook Page at facebook.com/stitchesoflove or email it to email@example.com.
- Enjoy Your Mug Rug on Thanksgiving Day or Give It Away as the Perfect Hostess Gift!
Free Thanksgiving Printables
This free Thanksgiving printable set from Gifted Labels completely matches the mug rug from above…because we got the idea from our friend, Collin, who owns GiftedLabels.com! Collin is so sweet and is letting us share this free printable here on our blog so you, too, can enjoy a fun, festive and elegant Thanksgiving without any of the hassle. Why we love this printable set and all of the Gifted Labels designs is because you can print everything you need from the comfort of your home. No getting dressed and fighting the crowds at the stores. Plus, the designs are just so fun…you have to check out Collin’s website: GiftedLabels.com.
The printable set includes:
- 8 x 3.75 inch Wine Label Wraps
- 2 Sets: 2 Inch Wine Glass Tags/Cupcake Toppers/Stickers
- 3.5 x 2 inch (folded size) Place Cards
- 10 x 7.75 inch “Happy Thanksgiving” Signage/Framing Picture
- 7.75 x 10 inch “Be Thankful” Pennant Flag Banner
Ideas for Using the Thanksgiving Printables
We have lots of ideas for you to make using the printables super easy and very helpful in terms of making your Thanksgiving decor a breeze. You can…
- Use the Wine Label Wrap on your bottles of wine.
- Set the Place Cards in pine cones on your table.
- Use a 1/4″ ribbon to tie the Wine Glass Tags on your glasses.
- Place the Happy Thanksgiving Sign on a small post and put it in a potted plant by your door.
- Hang the Be Thankful Banner on your mantel or bookshelf.
- Place small pumpkins in a large vase for your centerpiece.
- Use the Cup Cake Toppers on individual pieces of pie or cupcakes.
The pictures below are a compilation of how we used the printables last year at our Stitches of Love Thanksgiving and how Collin’s family used the printables to decorate their table. And we plan to do the same thing this year to make our life easier!
We hope you thoroughly enjoy the Turkey Gobble Mug Rug and that the beautiful Thanksgiving Printables from Gifted Labels make your decorating a bit easier. Make sure to share pictures of your Thanksgiving on our Facebook Page if you make the mug rug or use the printables! And don’t forget to subscribe to our email list because we will have some Christmas sales coming up along with more free patterns and tutorials for the holidays!
Have a lovely Thanksgiving and Happy Quilting,
Julie Love, Brittany Love and Edie Frasier … AKA The Stitches of Love Ladies!